Two homes burn in Northland Trailer ParkNo injuries reported as Yellowknife experiences second major house fire in a week
Firefighters work to get their hose on a fire that destroyed two homes on Norseman Drive in Northland Trailer Park, Monday afternoon. Two families have been left homeless in the blaze. It was the second major house fire in Yellowknife in the past week. - John McFadden/NNSL photo
Northern News Services
Monday, July 3, 2017
A massive fire destroyed two trailers on Norseman Drive in Northland Trailer Park, Monday afternoon. No one was hurt but the two homes were completely destroyed in the swiftly moving blaze. The fire burned ferociously on a windy day as firefighters worked hard to keep it contained and prevent it from spreading to neighbouring units.
The fire started in a pile of garbage left between the two units – 439 and 441 Norseman, according to a neighbour. Neighbours also said the couple in 439 had just moved in and were away on vacation. Members of the Rivera family who live in 441 were home but were able to escape unharmed.
“I came out of the washroom but I didn't really know what was happening,” said homeowner Gina Rivera.
“I thought there was trouble in the street. I looked out the window and the guy was pounding on it telling us to get it. So I just went out and I saw the fire,” said homeowner Gina Rivera. “I don't really know how I feel. I am in shock.”
Rivera looked on from the neighbour's front yard directly across the street from her house. The fire brought a full complement of emergency personnel, including more than a dozen firefighters, two ambulances and paramedics, RCMP and municipal enforcement officers. There was real concern for a while that the fire could spread to nearby trailers but firefighters managed to keep the fire from spreading further, despite the windy conditions.
There is no word yet on the cause or cost of damages due to the fire but both trailers and their contents were completely lost. Seven people in total as well as two dogs and two cats are now homeless, according to neighbours on the scene.