Pond Inlet standoff ends peacefullyRCMP considering charges after man barricades himself in residence
Northern News Services
Monday, July 31, 2017
RCMP say charges are being considered after a tense standoff involving a father in Pond Inlet on July 26 that forced several residents from their homes.
According to a news release from the Mounties. Jeffrey Killiktee, 27, surrendered peacefully after several hours of negotiations while Killiktee was barricaded inside a residence. Police stated that they were initially notified of the situation the morning of July 26.
RCMP notified the public about the situation about 8:45 a.m.
"A situation is presently unfolding in Pond Inlet," police stated. "We are requesting public assistance in locating Jeffrey Killiktee. Jeffrey Killiktee is believed to be armed and dangerous having made threats against individuals in the community and members of the RCMP."
The Mounties requested assistance to locate Killiktee so that they could establish contact with him in an effort, they said, to de-escalate and resolve the situation peacefully and without incident.
Then at about 4:15 p.m., RCMP issued an urgent request asking that all 700 Block residents vacate their residences immediately and move directly to safety.
"An accommodations safe area has been established at the Pond Inlet Community Hall with meals and accommodations provided," stated the Mounties in their release. "700 Block residents are asked to report their new location to RCMP. Residents in the 800 and 1000 Blocks are asked to remain inside until further notice unless directed by RCMP."
About an hour and a half later, police put out another advisory.
"All of the 700 Block of residences has been evacuated and the 800 and 1000 Block residential areas have been secured for the safety of residents of Pond Inlet who are still advised to remain inside," police stated. "Additional police resources from Iqaluit are now on the ground in Pond Inlet to provide additional coverage. The RCMP Critical Incident Team is actively involved and working towards a solution."
Later that night police put out an updated news release stating that the incident had ended peacefully with Killiktee surrendering and being taken into custody.
"Charges are being considered and the matter remains under investigation. No injuries were reported during this incident and all parties are safe," RCMP stated.
RCMP have not said where or when Killiktee was taken into custody nor have they said whether a weapon had been recovered.
A message was posted on Killiktee's Facebook page late in the evening on the 26th.
"I'm so sorry," was the simple message. Several messages of encouragement to him were later posted to his page.
Meanwhile, Ottawa Police are currently investigating four RCMP-involved deaths in Nunavut. The latest happened on July 21 when police responded to a residence in Arviat. According to a news release from the Mounties, officers at the scene say they heard a gunshot and then found the man dead.
"As the matter may be determined to be an 'in-custody' death, Ottawa police have been called in to investigate what happened," the release states. No further details on that incident have been released.
Ottawa police are also looking into three recent fatal police shootings in Nunavut including one in Hall Beach on May 1, another in Pond Inlet in March and a third in Gjoa Haven last December.